Tuesday, April 22, 2008

People Choice?

MCA Controversy on Ho Yip Kap (23/04/08)

Recently I pay a visit to Cameron Highlands, a small but beautiful town at Pahang, well known for cactus, roses, cabbages and tea plantations.

During the visit, I accidentally met Ho Yip Kap, the controversial state seat representative (ADUN) of Tanah Rata. He was a MCA member and leaders at Tanah Rata but he chosen as ADUN as an independent.

I met him in a coffee house at the township of Tanah Rata, he was sipping coffee while chatting with his friends. I did not went up to greet him, he don’t know me by the way, I’m a Sabahan while he is from Pahang.

However I do know about this guy, beside as the only politician who won the election as independent, Yip Kap was physics teacher of one of my colleague. I’m informed that he is a good teacher, not those who go into the class without teaching but talking nonsense.

I did put my ears on his conversation, nothing much I heard but some thing on MCA, its leaders and the policy and struggle of the party.

Through the “curi dengar” between Yip Kap and his friend I feel that Yip Kap really love his party, love his state and Malaysia. I proud of him and I’m sure that the Cameronian also proud of his victory in previous election.

Cameron Highlands mark a “strange” result in 2008 election, its MP, S.K. Devamany is one of the three MIC candidates that survive in the political tsunami that flooded whole country (especially the west coast of Semenanjung) which saw the defeat of MIC president, . Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu at Sungai Siput.

Many see Devamany victory as a result of his courage to speak in the Parliament, including issue that is not in flavour to the ruling coalition, Barisan Nasional.

Back to Yip Kap, there is now controversial among MCA’s leaders on him. It is understandable, if party President, Datuk Seri Ong Ka Ting accept Yip Kap membership, then it surely become a bad example to other party members, outsiders will also see it as a organization which is not hold tight to principles. I do not think Malaysian will vote a party like this, do you think so?

But things is not as easy as that, MCA have much thing to consider about Yip Kap especially when the party is still weak and `lack’ of MP and ADUN in several states.

Beside consider whether Yip Kap is a traitor to MCA or not, another thing that raise is whether MCA leaders had put a wrong candidate for the 2008 elections (not just Tanah Rata But other places as well).

Do bear in mind that Yip Kap won with 3,926 votes compare to Chai Kok Lim(BN-MCA), 3.351 votes and Go Mong Nging (DAP), 2,043. He won with the majority of 3,903 which is a relative strong if compare to other seats won by MCA.

For example, in Teruntum which is under Kuantan Parliament, MCA candidtate, Chang Hong Seong only slightly won by 293 majority.

Well the people already cast their vote, victory is belong to Yip Kap. Will MCA accept the people choice? Or will it hang on to the principles?

No comments: